Tuesday 17 January 2017

Having a go at Character Modelling!

I've stepped out of my comfort zone a little bit today and tried my hand at character modelling. I'm very much a prop/architecture focused modeller - I've only ever modelled a character once, and it was about 3 years ago! So I figured I'd find a really simple character modelling tutorial and see how it went, in the interest of starting to diversifying my skills a bit.

The tutorial series that I followed is called Modeling a Simple Human Character in Maya by Misterh3D. I went with this one because it was aimed toward beginners and I wanted to start out simple, just to get back into the mindset of character modelling and see if I remembered anything! The character is human-ish but still pretty cartoony, which suited my needs because I've found myself wanting to model some cartoony characters lately.

Anyway, here's some pictures of the process and a little collage of the finished product. The whole exercise took about 3-4 hours, and I think it achieved its purpose of jogging my memory in preparation for further character modelling in the future!

Basic body and the start of the head.

I downloaded the reference images used in the video to use as guides.

Body and head begin to take shape.

Legs and arms.

Hands added. This is the final low-poly before smoothing.

Finished product after being smoothed.

No comments:

Post a Comment