Friday 2 June 2017

Getting Started on my Next Project - Sci-fi Garage

Semester 3 is now well under way, and I've spent the past few weeks doing some sideline projects and portfolio pieces such as entering Allegorthmic's Meet MAT competition and modelling a Walther P38 pistol.

Now its time that I started working on my next projects for my final submission in October. I've spent some time thinking about what I could do for this semester. I initially planned to make an arena-style FPS game in a sci-fi setting, in which the player has to defeat waves of flying drone enemies. I spent a couple of weeks doing idea generation and concepting for this game idea. Last Friday, I started working on the project and trying to create the AI to make the enemies fly. This turned out to be very difficult, and after 8 hours of trying to figure it out, I had made no progress. This left me very disillusioned with the idea.

After having a long think about this project idea, I decided to abandon the project and go back to the drawing board. This was a big decision, and meant that the last couple of weeks had lead me to a dead end, but I realised that the work that would need to go into the project would not be relevant to what I actually want to do when I graduate, and would distract me from my real goal. I eventually decided to return to what I am good at and what I enjoy - 3D environment art.

Over the past week, I've planned out what I'm going to do for my final module submission. I am going to create two 3D environments, with a realistic art style and a focus on atmosphere. The first will be a sci-fi mechanic's garage with a futuristic armoured personnel carrier as the central focal point. The scene will contain lots of detail items such as barrels, tool chests, tools, posters on the walls and mechanic items. The scene will be set in the near future (mid 21st century). I decided to go with this idea because it will allow me to gain more experience with sci-fi scenes and vehicle modelling, which will add to my portfolio. The second scene is going to be an arms dealers office in a Villa, probably set in the 70's in South America. Think a wood panel room with an ornate desk, screen doors leading to a balcony, and a gun and a metal briefcase full of money on the desk. I will be creating these two scenes simultaneously over the next few months.

Anyway, today I have created the initial level blockout for the sci-fi garage scene, using placeholder assets. This simple blockout has allowed me to get an idea of the scale and layout of the environment, which will allow me to move forward with the scene in the coming weeks. I've also been able to begin looking at what colour palette and lighting arrangements I could use. Here's some screenshots of my sketches and the blockout:









No comments:

Post a Comment