Thursday 27 April 2017

Stone Circle Level Progress - 27th April - Stones & Trees

Here's just a quick blog post to show some pictures of my recent 3D models that I've made for my stone circle scene: the 3 sacred trees and the stone circle stones themselves. These models are very important because they are central to the scene and act as unique focal points or "hero models" as I believe they are referred to in the industry.

In creating these models over the last couple of weeks, I've really started to refine and develop my  asset creation workflow. Only a 2-3 months ago, I was still hand-painting my textures, barely using Mudbox and I had no experience at all in Substance Painter - now my workflow is much more up-to-date and involves modelling low-polys in Maya, using Mudbox to sculpt and create high polys, then using Substance Painter to create PBR materials - and I'm really happy with the results!

The stones include the two larger, main stones that act is the entrance to the stone circle, and three smaller stones that make up the other 11 stones for a total of 13 stones in the circle (I didn't think it was a particularly wise use of my time to do 13 unique stones). Pictures of the finished stone circle in the scene will come soon. The two main stones feature Celtic circle rock carvings.




And here are the three sacred trees!

L to R: Ash tree, Oak tree, Hawthorn tree.
Ash tree.
Oak tree.
Hawthorn tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment